(OVEN BAKED EGGS IN TOMATO SAUCE)
Yields 4 Servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- ½ Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can Chickpeas or cannellini beans, drained
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz. feta, crumbled
- 1 Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- 2 Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- 3 Add the onions and bell pepper and sauté until translucent (5-6 minutes).
- 4 Add the garlic and continue to sauté 20-30 seconds.
- 5 Add the canned tomatoes and their juices, crushing the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the skillet.
- 6 Add the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and some freshly cracked pepper as well. Stir to combine. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- 7 Add beans and spinach; stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- 8 Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- 9 Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 10 Sprinkle with crumbled feta and fresh parsley.